My expectations were not especially high, as this seems to be the one silent film of Lang's that is routinely dismissed. But I must say that it's a very entertaining film, and despite its elephantine length, it's quite a fun ride.
- The launch of the rocket is from a tank of water, for reasons I couldn't quite understand, though it is explained.
- Gustav Von Waggenheim seems to have aged 15 years since NOSFERATU, but his limp-wristed histronics are present as ever.
- Fritz Rasp as the villian is the oddest looking American capatalist I've ever seen - and he has a Hitler-like hair do at times (intentional?).
- The child stowaway is surprisingly charming.
- There's a brilliant comedy sequence involving the borrowing of a neighbour's telephone. Trust me, I was in hysterics!
- As with METROPOLIS, there is a romantic triangle of sorts, though its much less perverse.