06/04/11. Just added:
THE HORROR HITS OF RICHARD GORDON
SCRIPTS FROM THE CRYPT: THE HIDEOUS SUN DEMON
Also a few miner entries, changes, corrected typos, etc.
I recently sent Tom an e-mail asking him to list his books. He is probably the most prolific of all the Horror Film historians and I figured I might have missed a few (I did!). Here is part of the e-mail he sent me back:
“Here's a list of my "Other Works" from IMDb. It looks like I've written more books than I have, because McFarland re-titled some before re-issuing them. Even I get very confused!”
Even he is confused and he WROTE the books!
I then started working on this thing. He thinks I am nuts and he couldn’t care less about any of this. I thought it would be good for him and all of us to see what he has been up to since 1988. At his favorite diner the other day I asked him if it was ok to post this.
”Sure, but nobody is going to give a flying poop!” The flying object was actually another word, but I don’t want anyone thinking he ever uses profanity.
I know there are some people thinking that Tom made me do this and I do have to mention that he just told me the check was in the mail.
So here goes:
01. "Interviews With B Science Fiction and Horror Movie Makers." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1988. Paperback: 2006.
02. "Universal Horrors." (With John Brunas and Michael Brunas) Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1990.
03. "Science Fiction Stars and Horror Heroes." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1991. Paperback: 2006
04. "Creature from the Black Lagoon." Absecon NJ: MagicImage Filmbooks, 1992.
05. "Poverty Row HORRORS!" Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1993. Also in paperback.
06. "Attack of the Monster Movie Makers." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1994.
07. "They Fought in the Creature Features." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1995.
08. "To 'B' Or Not to 'B'--A Film Actor's Odyssey." (With Robert Clarke). Baltimore MD: Midnight Marquee Press, 1996. Reprinted 2009.
09. "It Came from Weaver Five." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1996. Reprinted 2004 as “It Came From Horrorwood”
10. "Monsters, Mutants and Heavenly Creatures." Baltimore MD: Midnight Marquee Press, 1996.
11. "Science Fiction and Fantasy Film Flashbacks." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1998. Paperback: 2004
12. "John Carradine: The Films." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1999.
13. "I Was a Monster Movie Maker." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 2001.
14. "Science Fiction Confidential." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 2002.
15. "Eye on Science Fiction." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 2003. Paperback: 2007.
16. "Monster Kid Memories." (With Bob Burns) New York: Dinoship, 2003. ISBN 0972858520.
17. "Earth vs. the Sci-Fi Moviemakers." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 2005.
18. "Universal Horrors--Second Edition." (With Michael Brunas and John Brunas) Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 2007. ISBN 0786429747 A near complete rewrite of #2 above.
19. "Steps to Stardom: My Story." (With Paul Picerni) Georgia: Bear Manor Media, 2007.
20. "I Talked with a Zombie." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 2008.
21. "A Sci-Fi Swarm and Horror Horde." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 2010.
22. “The Horror Hits of Richard Gordon.” Duncan, Oklahoma: BearManor Media, 2011
23. “Scripts from the Crypt: The Hideous Sun Demon.” Duncan, Oklahoma: BearManor Media. 2011
That Creature book McFarland just killed. Tom wrote all but the Pez section.
To many others to mention which lifted info Tom found out first.
1. Poverty Row Horrors” 1999
2. "Return of the B Science Fiction and Horror Heroes." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 1999. Reprint of #s 01 & 03 above.
3. "Double Feature Creature Attack." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 2002. Reprint of #s 06 &07 above. Now out of print.
4. Science Fiction Fantasy Flashbacks. 2004
5. "It Came from Horrorwood." Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co., 2004. This is a re-titled reprint of “It Came From Weaver 5”
6. “Interviews with b…2006
7. Sci fi Stars and Horror Heroes. 2006
8. “Eye On Science Fiction” 2007
9. Sci Fi Confidential 2010
10. John Carradine. 2008
Also is featured in:
01. Midnight Marquee Actors Series: Bela Lugosi. Edited by Gary J. and Susan Svehla. The Black Sleep Chapter. Baltimore MD: Midnight Marquee Press, 1995.
02. Midnight Marquee Actors Series: Boris Karloff. Edited by Gary J. and Susan Svehla. West of Shangri/Invisible Menace, Devil’s Island and British Intelligence chapter. 1996.
03. Guilty Pleasures Of The Horror Film 1. The Tingler Chapter. Baltimore MD: Midnight Marquee Press, 1996.
04. Foreword for "Censored Screams: The British Ban on Hollywood Horror in the Thirties" by Tom Johnson (McFarland, 1997).
05. Ed. By Kevin McCarthy & Ed Gorman“’They’re Here’…Invasion of the Body Snatchers. A Tribute.” NY. Beverly Boulevard. 1999. Has Tom’s interview with Dana Wynter.
06. Wrote foreword for "Tales from the Cult Film Trenches" by Louis Paul (McFarland, 2008).
Possible Tom Stuff:
01. Midnight Marquee Actors Series: Vincent Price? Baltimore MD: Midnight Marquee Press
02. Midnight Marquee Actors Series: Peter Lorre? Baltimore MD: Midnight Marquee Press
OTHERS???? Is there a Lon Jr. Chapter? Is there even a book??
I don’t have any of these so if someone could look them up I can add these above.
DVD audio commentaries:
The Wolf Man (1941),
The White Gorilla (1945) (with Bob Burns)
SCROOGE (Aka A CHRISTMAS CAROL) (1951). Tom interviews Richard Gordon on the American release and memories of George Minter. Not on Blu Ray edition.
It Came from Outer Space (1953)
Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953) (with Rich Scrivani)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
The Big Chase (1954) (with Robert L. Lippert Jr.) (Re-enactment)
Revenge of the Creature (1955) (with Lori Nelson and Bob Burns)
The Creature Walks Among Us (1956) (with Bob Burns)
Grip of the Strangler (1958) (with Richard Gordon and Alex Gordon)
The Bride and the Beast (1958) (with Charlotte Austin, Bob Burns and Trustin Howard)
Frankenstein - 1970 (1958) (with Charlotte Austin and Bob Burns),
Fiend Without a Face (1958) (with Richard Gordon)
Queen of Outer Space (1958) (with Laurie Mitchell)
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) (with Yvette Vickers)
First Man Into Space (1959) (with Richard Gordon and Alex Gordon)
The Atomic Submarine (1959) (with Alex Gordon)
Corridors of Blood (1958) (with Richard Gordon and Yvonne Romain)
Devil Doll (1964) (with Richard Gordon)
The Navy vs. the Night Monsters (1966) (with Michael A. Hoey) Unreleased.
Secrets of Sex (1970) (with Richard Gordon)
The Cat and the Canary (1978) (with Richard Gordon); Released in the UK only.
Monster Kid Home Movies (2005) (V)
Svengali. Same as on Scrooge.
No Orchids for Miss Blandish(1948) (with Richard Gordon)
Horror Hospital (1973) (with Richard Gordon)
THE FLESH EATERS. Retromedia (Unreleased)
THRILLER EPISODE. Re-enactment. Tom played by….
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (With Mike and John Brunas)
NOT OF THIS EARTH (With John and Mike Brunas)
HAMMER FILM NOIR DOUBLE FEATURE VOL. 7. Audio Interview with Richard Gordon and Tom Weaver.
TOM ON SCREEN:
Monster Kid Home Movies (2005)
Edgar Ulmer Doc
Scandals etc. What was the name of that show??
There is also a Mystery Science extra with Tom on the BRIDE OF THE MONSTER episode. Shout Factory.
Host: FANEX FILES: SAM ARKOFF (Tom not on screen, but you can hear him chuckling nearby! ALPHA DVD
LINER NOTES written by Tom:
Here is where I need help. I don’t have the time to unbag all my DVDs to check but I’ll bet there are over 100 out there with his liner notes. As usual, Tom is NO HELP at all!!
Mysto: I am still working on the Weaverography and want to add all the stuff you did liner notes for.
Tom: Fuhgeddabout! In my heyday a few years ago, I was doing several a week, from ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT to romantic movies based on Ernest Hemingway stories to the 2000 movie version of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER and hip-hop movies -- hundreds of them, mostly uncredited. I couldn't name them all (or 1/10th of them) now if my life depended on it! But thanks for the thought!
HIP HOP MOVIES???!!!! Yikes!
If anyone comes across something other than the Hip Hop stuff, let me know so I can list it. I do have 2 in front of me right now:
ASTOUNDING SHE MONSTER. IMAGE
LOST CONTINENT. 1951. IMAGE
THE VEIL. BOOKLET. US ONLY NOT UK
GORGO. 2000. VCI
SHE DEMONS. IMAGE
THE HIDEOUS SUN DEMON. Image (From Robert Clarke bio with Tom)
GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN. IMAGE. Fold out snapper case only.
THE TIGER’S CLAW (1954) ALPHA
And, as mentioned:
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (Which version?)
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER. 2000
I know there were some Image/Wade Williams DVDs with Tom’s liner notes in fold out snapper cases. They were re-issued without Tom’s notes. Which ones??
I also know that he is constantly adding info to the IMDb and his anonymous information is on probably thousands of film entries. I am not that crazy to try to figure those all out! Basically, if you read the back of a DVD and they guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about, it is probably Mr. Weaver doing the line notes.
Kit Parker recently mentioned that most VCI titles have Tom’s liner notes. 6/11