Pre-Orders now available for:
The FXRH Collection
A compilation of all four issues of FXRH,
the legendary fanzine published from 1971 to 1974.
Now finally being reprinted in a Deluxe Edition by the original publishers.
In 1971, Ernest Farino and Sam Calvin teamed up to create and publish the first fanzine devoted entirely to stop motion
master Ray Harryhausen. Named for Ray’s on-screen credit, Special Visual Effects Created by Ray Harryhausen (or FXRH)
made its debut as a 26-page offset publication, side-stapled, with an original print run of only 300 copies.
Now, this limited edition softcover book combines all four original issues, and
adds new and rare artwork and photos, many never printed before or since!
The Original issues of FXRH feature:
• Extensive coverage of Ray's 16mm Fairy Tales, including frame blowups
• Technical analysis of the effects in Valley of Gwangi
• Detailed 2-part filmbook on Jason and the Argonauts
• The 1971 interview with Ray & Charles Schneer at the National Film Theater
• Sam Calvin's famous "jiggling rock" parody
• Ray Harryhausen's aerial brace creations, by Mark Wolf
• Frame-by-frame sequences
• A separate, exclusive interview with Charles Schneer
• Coverage of the then-new The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
• An exclusive interview with Kerwin Mathews conducted by Star Wars' Mark Hamill
• Ray Harryhausen's early 16mm experimental films illustrated by frame blowups
• Cast & credits from Ray’s films
• Plus Trivia, editorials, facts and figures, and cartoons
In addition to the reprint material - presented just as the original
magazines were at the time they came out - The FXRH Collection will also include:
• A new cover portrait of Ray Harryhausen by 2012 Rondo Award-winning artist Mark Maddox
• An ongoing account of the trials and tribulations of producing FXRH,
one of the first animation and visual effects fanzines
• Sam Calvin's account of meeting Ray in his London home in 1971
(long before Ray started making the rounds at conventions and book signings)
• A lengthy letter from Jim Danforth in reply to FXRH #4
(never-before printed because there was no issue #5)
• New material covering Ray's career in the intervening years, including his
much deserved Academy Award and "Star" on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
• A gallery of fan art that we received at the time but never had the space to print
And much more!
Click on the following for many more details and photos:
— and —
(main page for the book)
— and —
The FXRH Collection
8-1/2 x 11, full color, softcover, estimated 256 pages (+ 4 page cover)
Estimated street date: end of June
$49.95, plus shipping
(US by Priority Mail or Media Mail; International by Priority Mail or First Class International)
Pre-Orders are now available via our secure shopping cart at:
(PayPal, credit cards, or a PDF order form that you
can download to mail in with a check or money order.)
This book is limited to an Edition of 1,000 copies. As a result of copies allocated to Backers of the Kickstarter
Project, plus bookstore orders and comp copies, close to 600 copies have already been accounted for.
If the demand for the Sold Out editions of our Ray Harryhausen — Master of the Majicks books is any
indication, this book is well on its way to selling out. So don't be disappointed— Order Now!